Sunday 15 September 2013

NOBU

Let me preface this by saying "I had a religious experience" in a restaurant, non the less. It came in the form of foie gras resting atop a grilled scallop. The foie gras absolutely melted on my tongue and it took all my will power not to cry from the sheer joy/bliss/elation. What is it about food that can bring out such strong emotions? The entire experience at NOBU was amazing. The décor was gorgeous and understated (a pleasant contrast from most of the Atlantis). We had a very professional, knowledgeable and friendly waitress. When you go ask to sit in Yuli's section, she was brilliant. Another plus at NOBU is their child policy, no children under 10. Which of course only leaves admittance to us loud adults (NOBU is not the place for a quiet, intimate dinner).

The Salmon Tacos

Left: Wagyu beef Nigiri Sushi, Right: Salmon Skin Roll

Scallop and foie gras vanilla den miso

Part of the tasting menu

Sweet finale of the tasting menu: chocolate cake with liquid centre and coconut ice cream



Our first course was the salmon taco. Beautifully presented and tiny, it was like receiving a jewel. The salmon was as soft as butter offering a nice contrast to the crisp taco shell.

The wagyu beef as well surrendered willingly but it was not to my taste, my friend on the other hand loved it.

What is a Japanese restaurant without the ubiquitous sushi? I was keen on trying the salmon skin roll and it did not disappoint. Slightly warm rice, crisp salmon skins and avocado at a seemingly perfect point of maturity. The sushi roll which came as part of the tasting menu was also a treat. Gorgeous salmon and avocado.

The overall experience at NOBU was great. My friend and I ended up ordering various small dishes as well as the tasting menu which is a good idea especially as this was our first time at NOBU..

Note: until the end of September Atlantis the Palm is offering 25% of the total F&B bill for Emirates NBD card holder. I overheard on the table beside that with CITI Bank it is 15% off but I do not know for how long.

No comments:

Post a Comment